Home

British Place Names

A comprehensive online gazetteer

Home » Aberdeen City » Aberdeen, Aberdeen City - local map, administrative data, historical information and reader comments

Aberdeen

Local area map loading...

Aberdeen

Aberdeen Listen/æbərˈdiːn/ is Scotland's third most populous city, one of Scotland's 32 local government council areas and the United Kingdom's 29th most populous city, with an official population estimate of 220,420. Nicknames include the Granite City, the Grey City and the Silver City with the Golden Sands. During the mid-18th to mid-20th centuries, Aberdeen's buildings incorporated locally quarried grey granite, which can sparkle like silver due to their high mica contents.
Post townABERDEEN
Administrative CountyAberdeen City
Traditional CountyAberdeenshire
OS GridNJ9206
OS Settlement ClassificationCity
Region
CountryScotland
Police AuthorityGrampian
Fire and Rescue Authority
Fire and Rescue Authority
Ambulance AuthorityScottish
Dialling code01224
Population220,420 (2011 Mid-Year Estimate)
 

Other names by which Aberdeen has been known in the past

Abberdeen ~ Aberdon ~ Habberdyn ~ New Aberdon

Aberdeen in John Bartholomew's "Gazetteer of the British Isles" (1887)

Aberdeen, co. town of Aberdeenshire, parl. and royal burgh, and principal seaport in the N. of Scotland, between the mouths of the Dee and the Don, 115 miles via Tay Bridge and 135 m. via Perth and Stirling by rail N. of Edinburgh, and 518 m. N. of London -- parl. burgh, pop. 105,003; royal burgh, pop. 87,223; mun. burgh, pop. 105,189; 8 Banks, 8 newspapers. It is the fourth largest town in Scotland, and comprises Old and New Aberdeen, the former being about 1 m. to the N. on the S. side of the Don, and the latter on the Dee; the houses are mostly built of granite. It is the seat of a flourishing University, which was formed (1860) by the union of the University and King's College (founded 1494) of Old A., and the University and Marischal College (founded 1593) of New A., and has 21 professors and about 600 students. The largest and most imposing of A.'s public edifices is the County and Municipal Buildings (commenced 1867, completed at cost of over £80,000), a granite structure with tower 190 ft. high. Duthie Park (1883), 47 ac. in extent, is on the SW. side of the city. The docks are extensive, the harb. having been enlarged and improved by the diversion of the Dee, the formation of a pier and breakwater, &c. Exports--linens, woollens, cotton yarns, granite, and fish. A. is the head of the fishery dist. between Montrose and Peterhead, and fish-curing is extensively carried on. There are important shipbuilding yards; engineering, chemical, tanning, and granite-polishing works; breweries, distilleries, and paper-mills; with mfrs. of woollen, linen, cotton, combs, and tobacco. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The existing part of the Cathedral of St Machar (begun about 1357, completed 1527), 126 ft. long and 67½ broad, stands in Old A. The burgh returns 2 members to Parliament (2 divisions, viz., North and South, 1 member for each division); the representation of the burgh was increased in 1885: the university unites with that of Glasgow in returning 1 member.

Your comments about Aberdeen

What do you know about Aberdeen? Give us the benefit of your local knowledge and opinions here!

comments powered by Disqus